Directorate: Policy, Planning and Economics - MFMR
DIRECTORATE: POLICY, PLANNING AND ECONOMICS
The Directorate is mandated to co-ordinates the formulation, implementation, as well as monitoring and evaluation of fisheries policies and legal framework, carry out continuous socio-economic research and evaluation, collect, capture, analyze and disseminate data to end users and stakeholders, manage fishing rights and allocation of fishing quotas, issue licensing of vessels and co-ordinates overall planning of the Ministry.
Division: Policy, Planning and Economics
- Co-ordinate policy formulation when need arises;
- Ensure policy implementation at all times;
- Review policies after every five years or when need arises;
- Conduct policy research a year prior to review date; and
- Negotiate and promote Namibia’s interests at international fora annually;
- Review and formulate ministerial strategic and development plans after five years intervals;
- Ensure that implementation of capital projects is aligned to Annual work plan and Strategic plan;
- Monitor progress of planned activities on quarterly basis;
- Prepare monthly monitoring reports on capital projects;
- Ensure that Ministerial programmes and projects are aligned to the national development priorities;
- Review Strategic Plans and Bi-Annual Progress Reports at set intervals;
- Prepare monthly, quarterly and annual reports on developmental budget execution;
- Prepare Ministerial annual report; and
- Provide advice to the Ministry and stakeholders when need arises.
- Continuously carryout economic research and analyses;
- Appraise socioeconomic performance of the fishing sector annually; and
- Participate in international fora annually.
- Undertake socio-economic analysis of the fishing sector’s contribution to the national economy
- Conduct assessments for harvesting fishing rights and quota
- Provide socio-economic advice on fisheries management
- Continuously capture and verify fish landings;
- Collect, verify and capture employment data annually; and
- Analyze and produce fisheries statistical reports on quarterly and annual basis.
Sub-Division: Fisheries Administration
- Administer fishing rights and quota as prescribed in the Marine Resources Act, 2000 (Act no.27 of 2000);
- Issue fishing vessel licenses within two working days;
- Invoice right holders on fees and levies payable on monthly and quarterly basis
- Produce fees and levies collected reports on annual basis; and
- Provide information on fees and levies collected within two working days from date of request.
Director: Policy, Planning & Economics
Deputy Director: Policy, Planning & Economics